Transition Cow Management workshop, Thursday 4th November, 2021
10:00 to 17:00
7 hours CPD; limited to 8 delegates.
£190 + VAT.
Trainer: Owen Atkinson BVSc DCHP MRCVS, RCVS Specialist in Cattle Health and Production
The Classroom will open at 9:45 for testing sound and equipment.
What is covered?
This one-day training is suitable for dairy vets who want to improve their knowledge and confidence around transition cow monitoring and advising in practice.
This workshop will include:
- The transition cow’s nutrient requirements, focussing on energy as well as minerals.
- Managing the energy gap challenge and dry matter feed intakes.
- Rumen acclimatisation, in particular with relation to reducing SARA risk.
- Understanding transition disorders and their inter-links.
- Overall group and dietary strategies for transition cows: two-group, single group and stable groups; controlled energy diets and practical work-arounds.
- Assessing transition cow success: what to monitor; KPIs; feedback and feed-forwards measurements.
- Building re-designs and facility planning.
- Strategies for milk fever control, including DCAB.
- Practical transition problems and solutions, using case studies.
At the end of this workshop you will have gained knowledge and greater understanding on transition cow management and how to investigate problems. You will have skills and confidence to improve the advice you can give to dairy farmers.
This course is standalone, but makes a great combination alongside Dairy Cow Nutrition and CowSignals® for a more rounded understanding.
Slides, checklists and notes will be available for you to use in practice.
How to book
Please follow the registration button below or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your place.Register for Course
An invoice will be issued ahead of the training.
- We ask that course fees are paid in advance. If for any reason a course is not run, then the registration fee will be refunded in full. Other expenses incurred (such as pre-booked travel expenses) are excluded.
- Cancellations by delegates must be made in writing (email). A cancellation fee of 25% of the total registration fee will be made for cancellations up to 14 days before the course. Refunds will not normally be made for cancellations within 14 days of the course.
- Delegates may substitute another person in place of themselves for a course but they must notify DVC of the name of the replacement delegate in advance of the training date.
- Please ensure that DVC is notified of any changes in contact details. We ask this in case we need to contact you with course changes. Please ensure your email settings allow our emails to you.