CowSignals® plus building design training workshop, Wednesday 8th December 2021
10:00 to 17:00
7 hours CPD; limited to 8 delegates.
£190 + VAT.
Trainer: Owen Atkinson BVSc DCHP MRCVS, RCVS Specialist in Cattle Health and Production, CowSignals® Master Trainer
The Classroom will open at 9:45 for testing sound and equipment.
What is covered?
CowSignals® training challenges the way you approach dairy herd health. First, you need to know what to check for. Then you’ve got to notice the signals – that takes practice. It involves learning and then practicing new skills. Included in this workshop are some essential elements of building design, useful for practicing vets. You will learn how to make the simple, cheap changes, as well as how a new-build should be designed.
This workshop includes:
- A full outline of the main CowSignals® principals.
- The requirements of the dairy cow will be explored from the perspectives of Air, Light, Feed, Water, Space, Rest and Health.
- Normal cow behaviour and time budgets; abnormal behaviours
- Observing new signals
- Assessing the environment; essential dimensions and housing design features
- Cubicle design, assessments and improvements
- Overall facility design, with particular reference to space
- Concepts of Special Needs Group and Stress-Free Calving Line
- Using checklists
- How to use the information
- Developing plans for action
At the end of this workshop you will have new skills and confidence to immediately improve how you work with dairy farms. It will probably change the way you observe cows for ever, and how you work as a farm vet.
DVC checklists, notes and score cards are provided for you to use in practice.
How to book
Please complete the registration form or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your place.Register for Course
An invoice will be issued ahead of the training.
- We ask that course fees are paid in advance. If for any reason (such as inadequate numbers of registrants) a course is not run, then the registration fee will be refunded in full. Other expenses incurred (such as any pre-booked travel expenses) are excluded.
- Any cancellations by delegates must be made in writing (email). A cancellation fee of 25% of the total registration fee will be made for cancellations up to 14 days before the course. Refunds will not normally be made for cancellations within 14 days of the course.
- Delegates may substitute another person in place of themselves for a course but they must notify DVC of the name of the replacement delegate in advance of the training date.
- Please ensure that DVC is notified of any changes in contact details. We ask this in case we need to contact you with course changes. Please ensure your email settings allow our emails to you (and then please do read them!).