Dairy Cow Nutrition training workshop, Thursday 27th May, 2021
10:00 to 17:00
7 hours CPD; limited to 8 delegates.
£180 + VAT.
Trainer: Owen Atkinson BVSc DCHP MRCVS, RCVS Specialist in Cattle Health and Production
The Classroom will open at 9:45 for testing sound and equipment.
What is covered?
This one-day training is suitable for relative beginners and more experienced vets/ advisers who want to improve their knowledge and confidence around feeding dairy cows.
This workshop will include:
- The cow’s nutrient requirements, focussing on major elements of protein and energy (cf minerals).
- The rumen microbiome; typical fractions of major nutrient supply from products of rumen fermentation vs by-pass nutrients; optimising rumen health.
- Understanding sub-acute rumen acidosis, including results of Owen Atkinson’s published SARA prevalence study; pH stability and how to achieve it.
- Assessing rumen health in practice, including rumen fluid analysis; pH monitoring; other cow-monitoring techniques, including discussion on faeces scoring and analysis.
- Making assessments of the diet as fed, including use of Penn State Forage Separator; alternative techniques for diet assessment.
- Understanding forage analyses.
- Cow time budgets; feeding behaviours and influencing feed intakes, feed bouts and diet sorting.
- Feed bunk management and environmental effects on nutritional performance.
- Practical feeding problems and finding solutions, using case studies.
At the end of this workshop you will have gained knowledge and greater understanding on dairy cow nutrition and how to investigate problems. You will have skills and confidence to improve the advice you can give to dairy farmers. This one day course will not make you a fully fledged nutritionist, but you will be better able to contribute to discussion and check for feeding errors which are commonly encountered on UK dairy farms.
This course is standalone, but makes a great combination alongside Transition Cow Management and CowSignals® for a more rounded understanding.
Slides, checklists and notes will be available for you to use in practice.
How to book
Please complete the registration form below or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your place.Register for Course
An invoice will be issued ahead of the training.
- We ask that course fees are paid in advance. If for any reason a course is not run, then the registration fee will be refunded in full. Other expenses incurred (such as pre-booked travel expenses) are excluded.
- Cancellations by delegates must be made in writing (email). A cancellation fee of 25% of the total registration fee will be made for cancellations up to 14 days before the course. Refunds will not normally be made for cancellations within 14 days of the course.
- Delegates may substitute another person in place of themselves for a course but they must notify DVC of the name of the replacement delegate in advance of the training date.
- Please ensure that DVC is notified of any changes in contact details. We ask this in case we need to contact you with course changes. Please ensure your email settings allow our emails to you.